The Friends of the Library are members of the community just like you - people who value the library and its services. We think of ourselves as the library's best friends.
All memberships and donations are tax deductible to the extent allowed by law.
credit or debit
send a check
by mail or online
Opportunities To Give
Donations, memberships, and gifts to the Friends of the Library support the Library's vital role in our community.
Where The Need Is Greatest
- Library Experiences for Everyone.
Contribute to the Friends efforts to support and supplement the library's books, music, movies, programs, and services. 90% addresses current needs; 10% is invested in the general endowment. Your donation will help the Friends respond in a timely manner and address the library's immediate needs.
- The Power of Words. Changing Our World One Author at a Time.
A biennial community event featuring guest authors whose literary talent, imagery, and eloquence provide an insight into local issues and concerns - authors whose writing and speaking styles capture the hearts and minds of our community.
Ensure the Future
- General Endowment: Guarantees funds for an annual grant to the library for programs, special needs, and staff development
- Childrens Endowment: Ensures support for the library's innovative and outstanding children's services
- VITAL Endowment: Supports reading and literacy for adults through the library's Volunteers In Teaching Adult Literacy (VITAL) programs
- Build the Collection Endowment: Assures that the library's book, media, and research collections remain current and dynamic, enriching lives and meeting the evolving needs of the community
Planned giving. A legacy of enduring support.
- Estate and Investment Gifts. Call the Friends Office, 812-349-3050, ext 1080.
Gifts of all sizes have made important contributions to our public library and include the purchase of Indiana Room materials, a new bookmobile, as well as a gift of $620,000 which purchased the site for the library building on Kirkwood Avenue in 1966.
The Friends of the Library, also known as the Monroe County Public Library Foundation, is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.We collect and administer the grants, gifts, bequests, and other monies (outside of local tax receipts) that help make the library's many programs such an integral part of our community.