In order to meet the educational, informational, and recreational interests and needs of the library's patrons, the Monroe County Public Library provides free access to computers, basic computer applications--such as word processing and other "productivity" software, the Internet, and Internet resources. Please refer to our Internet and Computer Use Policy .
No computer at home? Looking for a Wi-Fi connection?
The Library is the place to be. Save time. Save money.
Free Computer Access. For residents and visitors, the library offers:
- Public computers with basic computer applications, such as word processing and other productivity software.
- Internet access
- Wi-Fi  for laptops and other wireless devices
- Wireless printing to library computers from your laptop
|Use the library computers to your benefit:|
The Main Library and the Ellettsville Branch Library provide free Internet access and public computers. Service is available during all open hours.
Public Computers - Details and Services
There are 80 public computers in service. This number includes 55 in the second-floor Adult and Teen Services area, 11 in the Children's Department, and 14 at the Ellettsville branch.
- Windows 7 workstations with Internet access and Microsoft Office Suite programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- DVD and CD players
- CD burning capability
- Black and white laser printers
- Accept: USB flash drives and CDs. Patrons with floppy disks can use the external floppy drive available at the Information Desk.
- CD-R discs and USB flash drives can be purchased at the library.
- Three pages free printing per session for library card users.
- Library computer users cannot install software on library computers.
- Log on to a computer by entering a library card number or by using a guest pass.
- Computers may be used a total of four hours a day for library card users. Guest passes provide one hour of computer use. Based on demand, this time may be divided into sessions.
- Printing: The library offers 3 free pages per session for library card users. Additional pages are available at 10 cents per copy, payable at the printing stations.
- Breaks: Leave for 15 minutes during a session by locking the computer. After 15 minutes, patrons may lose their computer, especially if the room is busy.
- Please refer to the EnvisionWare FAQ  for more information.
Wireless Configuration and Setup
Wireless access at MCPL is high-speed and free. Come in and find a comfortable spot. With a wireless-enabled laptop or device, access to the Internet is available throughout the Bloomington and Ellettsville libraries.
Visit the library's Wireless Internet Service  page for complete details about configuring your wireless settings at the library.
The Advanced Workstations in Education (AWE) Early Literacy Stationâ„¢ is the first in a series of educational solutions for children ages 2 through 10. It includes more than forty-five educational software packages spanning seven curricular areas, top rated by Children's Technology Review.
The Early Literacy Stationâ„¢ is not just another computer with software. Kids are captivated by the interface and start to explore immediately. Safe, fun, educationally effective, warranted, hassle-free, and fresh every year.
Educational titles in each curriculum area are chosen for age appropriateness, educational value, replay interest, ease of use, entertainment value, graphics and sound, discovery and growth, and much more. The interface is imaginative and intuitive and encourages exploration by drawing kids into a learning adventure.
Any items, including computer disks left at the public computers by patrons will be taken to "lost and found" at the 2nd Floor Circulation Desk.